Another week, another round of CRE news articles to deliver. This week we found Apartment renewals reaching a 10-year high, how walkability is impacting commercial real estate value, the top 12 cities where affluent millennials lives and a lot more. See the 10 CRE news articles below to get a better all around view of the industry:
1. JLL Chart of the week – Tenant-favorable condition in downtown office market to continue through 2015 (JLL)
2.4 Things You Need to Know About the Future of Student Housing – As demand for student housing in Boston continues to grow, the way these developments are designed, and built, is changing. We caught up with CannonDesign’s Lynne Deninger, the firm’s Boston Office Practice lead er and an expert in university design, to get her insight. (Bisnow)
3. Apt. Renewals Reach 10-Year High – February’s renewal rate among apartment tenants was the highest nationally in 10-years, MPF Research says. The increasing renewal rate, with 55.1% of renters choosing to re-up last month, comes even as rents continue increasing and more new product becomes available. (GlobeSt.com)
4. The Walkability Premium – How Walkability is Impacting #CRE Value -As urban commercial real estate markets continue to see growth, the concept of “walkability” is playing a critical role in the evaluation of new opportunities. Today, walkability is a well known concept. The benefits of walkability are well documented and range from reducing greenhouse gases emissions to improving public health; but it is really the economic story that has pushed walkability into the real estate limelight. (theBrokerList)
5. The Top 12 Cities Where Affluent Millennials Live – The news headlines might be screaming about the mountain of debt and dire job prospects awaiting many members of the Millennial generation. But that’s only part of the picture. Like any other generation, Millennials also include many young bankers, lawyers and software developers making annual salaries in the six digits. Where should real estate investors and developers go to find members of this demographic? (NREI)
6. These 4 retailers are crushing the industry – The retail industry is struggling. But Morgan Stanley recently executed a study, highlighting which retailers are winning and which are losing. It considered 11 factors and took them into account for over the past decade. (Business Insider)
7. Lam Group lands $222M loan from Shanghai bank for Virgin Hotel – The development firm, headed by Hong Kong native John Lam, secured financing in late February for the 400,000-square-foot project at 1205-1227 Broadway, located between 29th and 30th streets, property records filed with the city Friday show. (The Real Deal)
8. Tech-Heavy CRE Markets at Risk of Slowdown – While the recent tech boom has been beneficial to several CRE markets, can the momentum last in the face of current U.S. economic concerns? (Commercial Property Executive)
9. Inside Commercial Real Estate Giant CBRE’s Office Of The Future – CBRE has built an $11 billion (2015 revenues) business helping clients around the world buy, lease, manage and finance commercial real estate. The Los Angeles-based company has more than 70,000 employees in 400 offices in 68 countries and ranks 15th on our annual list of America’s Best Employers. Its secret? (Forbes)
10. Keeping Score On Connectivity in Commercial Real Estate – Every tenant has a list of non-negotiable features and amenities that apply when looking for new space. As markets evolve and paradigms shift, those lists grow with them. Perhaps the single biggest shift has been the availability of high-capacity broadband Internet and wireless connections. Sharing data across the office and across the country is now done by fiber optic cable and that’s not going to change in the foreseeable future. (Colliers Knowledge Leader)
Hopefully you have as much fun reading our roundup of CRE news articles as we do gathering them, but if you would like CRE news that is more focused around your markets or properties you can always sign up to our free news tool.
Our news tool includes the news part of Insights which gives you the ability to follow markets, locations, or properties. Meaning you only gather and see CRE news happening in a 1-10 mile radius depending on your settings. Free accounts also get access to our CRE news on a map feature giving you a unique view on the commercial real estate updates reported in 170 markets across the country from over 200 news sources.